So we basically went on a huge shopping trip to Costco where we bought a mountain-load of fruit to stock our empty fridge back home. In particular we did a huge haul of fresh summer stone fruits: nectarines, donut peaches (you know the flat kind) and apricots. The abundance of fruit that we had in our house meant only one thing- a summer fruit crumble. And not just any old crumble- a dairy free, gluten free crumble that tastes just as good- or should I say even better than ordinary crumble recipes.
This recipe is adapted from my Healthy Apple and Pear Crumble (dairy free, sugar free) , which shows how easy it is to change the crumble depending on the time of year and what fruits are in season.
Click HERE for the recipe video!
INGREDIENTS (serves 4)
For the crumble you will need:
- 3/4 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 3 Tbs ground almonds
- 3 Tbs Desiccated Coconut (optional)
- 3 Tbs gluten free flour (or spelt/ wholegrain if you’re not avoiding gluten)
- 1 1/2 Tbs melted coconut oil
- 2 Tbs maple syrup (or honey, coconut sugar etc.)
- 1/2 ground cinnamon
For the fruit filling you will need:
- 500g of your choice of nectarines, donut peaches, apricots etc.
- 1/4 cup blueberries (optional)
- 2 Tbs lemon juice
- 3 Tbs coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 Tsp tapioca starch
- Preheat your oven to 170C.
- In a medium size bowl mix together all the ingredients needed for the crumble and set aside.
- For the filling, dice your chosen fruits into 1/2 inch cubes and toss with the rest of the ingredients in a separate larger bowl.
- Place the fruit filling into a 23 cm tart tin and then scatter your crumble topping all over.
- Bake for 35 minutes until golden brown or when your house begins to smell absolutely amazing!
- Leave to cool for 5-10 minutes (if you can wait that long!) and enjoy on it’s own or topped with whatever you fancy.
If there’s any leftover- which I doubt there will be, you can always enjoy this cold for breakfast topped with bananas, yogurt and more blueberries!