Loads of people undermine the importance of breakfast; many tend to skip it entirely which really isn’t the best way to start your day. It’s what really gives us the energy to allow us to work, exercise and think effectively where-ever that may be.
So here’s my family’s favourite granola recipe which not only tastes great but is dairy-free, vegan and possibly gluten-free (by just swapping a few ingredients): the perfect breakfast for those who find it hard eating foods containing this. Frankly speaking, I love this granola so much that I’m always so buzzed in the mornings to have a bowl of it, whether that be with almond milk, berries and sliced banana or simply as a topping with some coconut yogurt. For the RECIPE VIDEO click HERE
I don’t always use the exact ingredients listed below (it’s only my basic recipe), but whenever I do I always have to make a big batch because it all just seems to disappear withing 3 days! It’s honestly so easy to adapt and change according to what you have in your cupboard or what flavours you want to go for.
For instance here are some possible changes you could make:
- gluten free oats
- Quinoa (to replace the barley and rye flakes)
- Any nuts- Pecans, walnuts etc.
- 4 Tbs of cacao powder to make it chocolate granola
- ANY liquid sweetener e.g. maple syrup, agave, honey etc.
- ANY dairy-free milk e.g. oat, coconut, soya, almond
- Dried fruit e.g. raisins, cranberries etc.
- Coconut flakes
As you can see the list is endless! So feel free to adapt mine to match your preferences!
For my basic granola recipe:
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1/4 cup rye flakes
- 1/4 cup barley flakes
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 cup each of pumpkin and sunflower seeds (total 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- To a large mixing bowl mix together all the dry ingredients.
- In a separate medium-sized bowl mix together the coconut oil, milk and maple syrup.
- Stir the wet ingredients into the dry.
- Place onto a lined baking tray and spread evenly. Press down using a spatula or wooden spoon.
- Bake at 170C for 25-30 minutes, turning the pan round halfway until golden brown.
- Leave to cool then break up the granola into clusters using a spoon.
- Place in an airtight container and store in a cool dry place for up to 3 weeks- if it lasts that long!!